BEHIND THE SCENES: FASCINATING FACTS ABOUT THE “2019 MTV EMAS”
NEW YORK/SEVILLE—NOV. 2, 2019—From the creation of the set and red carpet, to Glam Squad’s thousands of lashes and lipsticks – with each massive MTV EMAs is a story of a ton of work that goes on behind the scenes. Each city that hosts the MTV EMAs gives the show its own unique flavor, along with plenty of surprising factoids and stats – which is why every year the MTV EMA team shares an astonishing behind-the-scenes story of how the show is brought to life.
Here are some of the most fascinating facts from the “2019 MTV EMAs” at FIBES, Conference & Exhibition Centre of Seville, Spain:
THE CITY – RICH IN CULTURE
- Seville is the first Creative City of Music to be recognized by UNESCO and has become one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.
- The city is a highly recognized center of creativity and musical activity, providing a vibrant environment that is the result of a long music tradition and influence on a global scale. Seville has achieved a strong growth of its cultural fabric, thanks to combining public investment, private development, talent and entrepreneurship.
- Culture has boomed throughout Seville with many A-List events, including Bienal de Flamenco, Seville European Film Festival, Spanish Goya Cinema Awards and The year of Murillo in 2017, which honored world famous painter Bartolomé Esteban Murillo and was the biggest cultural event since 92’ World Expo.
THE TEAM – MTV TAKES OVER SEVILLE
- Thus far, MTV has booked more than 9,000 hotel rooms for this year’s staff and crew.
- MTV’s staff and crew began descending upon Seville beginning more than two weeks in advance, on Friday, October 18.
- The final staff and crew members depart Seville on Thursday, November 7.
THE TRAVEL – GETTING AROUND SEVILLE
- Crew, talent and staff will spend more than 2,000 hours driving across Seville during a 5-day timespan.
- Nearly 100 cars have been booked to transfer more than 600 passengers during the days surrounding the event.
- Nearly 14,000 fans will attend the Music Week festivities leading up to the MTV EMAs, with more than 2,000 fans attending Vodafone Yu Music Show, nearly 500 fans at MTV Breaks and 11,000 fans attending Friday’s massive concert.
- MTV is expecting more than 500 fans on the EMAs red carpet alone, and 10,000 fans at Plaza de España for MTV World Stage Seville, leading up to the EMAs.
- 1,600 of Seville’s biggest fans were given complimentary tickets to enjoy the show.
- THE CONCEPT: Julio Himede, Founder of Yellow Studio, reprises his role as this year’s production designer.
- THE INSPIRATION: Seville’s famous fiestas and vibrant tiles are the inspiration for the show’s visual language. Programmable LED video screens will depict intricate tile artwork on the set’s ceilings and backdrop, as well as the elongated runway-like stage. Seville is known for its shadows that grace the streets and architecture, especially in the summer months, and this is reflected on the set through a sense of shadowy mystery, which is even prominent within the MTV EMA 2019 logo design.
- THE NUMBERS: The set includes 1,500 lamps within the ceiling, a floor that’s made from 1,064 video tiles, a 60 meter long stage with 4 self-driven and preprogrammed stages. The main screen of the stage features more than 6,800,000 pixels of visual definition.
- About 15,000 meals will be served this year for crew and artists, all of which are sourced from local markets.
- More than 220 meters of bar space will be on-site during the event, including the VIP After Party.
- Seville’s famous beer that originated in 1904, Cruzcampo, will be served during the event and VIP After Party.
- More than 60,000 Cruzcampo Cañas will be served with the support of more than 110 draft systems.
- Bespoke Sevillian gin brand, Puerto de Indias, will host an exclusive gin bar.
- So far this year, more than 1,400 MTV EMA social posts have hit from official MTV accounts around the world.
- The MTV EMAs will host influencers from around the world during the VIP events and concerts – their combined follower count is more than 73,000,000.
- The MTV EMA website reaches 32 regions in 16
- MTV EMA digital and social content is produced and localized for 99 social accounts around the world.
BEYOND THE MUSIC – HONORING CHANGEMAKERS
- This year, the MTV EMAs are bringing back the “MTV EMA Generation Change Award” to elevate and empower the fearless, original young people who are changing the world.
- Five dynamic changemakers from around the globe are being honored with the award, which will be presented during the “2019 MTV EMA” red carpet pre-show.
- Honorees from around the world include Alfredo “Danger” Martinez, 33, of Mexico; Shiden Tekle, 20, of the UK; Lisa RanRan Hu, 20, of China; Kelvin Doe, 22, of Sierra Leone; and Jamie Margolin, 17, of the USA.
BACKSTAGE AND FOR THE ARTISTS
THE SWAG: The artist Green Room, decorated by Thrill Event Decor specialists, features world-renowned brands in technology, beauty, fashion and more. Leading brands include: BOSE, who will be gifting headphones and Bluetooth Speakers; Maui Jim sunglasses featuring industry-leading technology; Raymond Weil, the music inspired watchmaker; I Saw It First ladies fashion; FOREO, who will feature an immersive experience zone to test their sonic facial cleansing brushes; and Bee Inspired the ultimate men’s street wear brand. Bespoke Sevillian gin brand, Puerto de Indias, will host an exclusive gin bar.
ARTIST BAR AND CATERING: More than 60 chefs will be on-hand to prepare a custom-made menu of signature Sevillian flavors complete with tapas, paella and other items for artists and their VIP guests. More than 1,000 meals for artists and their guests will be served. No VIP area would be complete without beautiful décor and artwork to inspire and impress. The art has been curated by Lovely Things, who hand-selected UK based artist Sickboy to display. The display will include his signature ‘temple’ logo on wheelie bins, which can be worth up to £50,000. Sickboy will be on-hand painting canvas and chairs for artists’ delight.
- THE CREATORS: More than 50 of the world’s top makeup artists are taking over Seville. At the helm of the massive glam squad are EMA veterans and world-renowned artists, Debbie Dannell and Pauline Simmons, who are leading the team for their 24th year. In addition, Graffiti artist and glam squad member The Urbanist will be using airbrushing guns in the VIP glam room to customize trainers, bags and T-shirts.
- MAKE-UP BY NUMBERS: To bring this year’s show stopping looks to life, the glam team is bringing in around 50 kilos of kit each, 440 brushes, 80 sponges, 315 eyeshadow pans, and 80 300 wigs to accompany the 2,000 in stock.
- Spectrum Collections just this week revealed their first ever cosmetics collection. The 2019 MTV EMAs will mark the first occasion that Spectrum Cosmetics is being used and worn on the red carpet. The products, all vegan and cruelty-free, will go on sale Wednesday November 13th 7am GMT.
- REDKEN will be supporting once again. Along with their Ambassador, Marco Arens, from Germany.
- Olivia Garden is providing nearly 50 of their high-quality hair brushes are not only innovative and reliable, but also beautiful and individual, underlining each hairdresser’s personality.
- THE WARDROBE: To celebrate the beauty of Seville, this year’s show is heavily inspired by the local culture of traditional dancers, as well as the abstract art that lines the city streets. The show dancers collectively have 300 costumes for the show. The 17 person strong costume team also includes local fashion students, an MTV Breaks competition winner and other local dressers and designers.
THE AFTER PARTY
- No MTV Awards Show would be complete without an over-the-top After Party. MTV will welcome 1,800 guests.
- The party is named Luz De Luna, meaning moonlight – a homage to Seville nights when temperature drops and the locals take over the streets to eat, drink and party.
- The setting for Luz De Luna takes six days to build. Designed and produced by MTV & Music Alchemy, the beautiful VIP party environment will feature a giant 35m projection screen with content created by Silent Studios. Guests can check out a toilet disco hosted by A Man To Pet and a surprise flamenco performance by the talented Paula Comitre.
- World-renowned DJs will descend upon the party. Jungle, Shortee Blitz, Black Saint, Flaca & Albal, Hutch, Ed Rostand and Cherish Kaya are all set to perform.
The “2019 MTV EMAs” will be jam packed with epic live performances. MTV EMA host and superstar Becky G will perform to fans worldwide after the release of her highly anticipated first album Mala Santa.
Additional MTV EMA show performances include Akon, Ava Max, Dua Lipa, Green Day, Halsey, Mabel, NCT 127, Niall Horan and Rosalia. Additionally, Sofia Reyes with Jhay Cortez, and Pabllo Vittar will treat fans to performances during the Red Carpet Pre-Show.
MTV will honor megastar Liam Gallagher with the first-ever “Rock Icon” award. Throughout the show, fans can expect special appearances by Abraham Mateo, Doutzen Kroes, Georgina Rodriguez, Joan Smalls, Johnny Orlando, Leomie Anderson and Terry Crews.
The “2019 MTV EMAs,” one of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, will broadcast to MTV channels globally on Sunday, November 3 at 9pm CET from FIBES, Conference & Exhibition Centre of Seville, Spain.
Voting is now open at mtvema.com until November 2 at 11:59pm CET.
Official sponsor of the “2019 MTV EMAs” is Amazon Music.
The 2019 MTV EMA Red Carpet is sponsored by the upcoming film, “Charlie’s Angels.”
For artwork, press assets and further information please visit press.mtvema.com.
ABOUT THE 2019 MTV EMA
The MTV EMAs 2019 will broadcast LIVE across the globe on 3rd November from FIBES, Conference & Exhibition Centre of Seville, Spain. One of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, the MTV EMAs bring music fans a unique, multi-platform experience across MTV’s global network in nearly 180 countries. Follow @MTVEMA on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram, and join the conversation with #MTVEMA. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the MTV EMAs 2019. Debbie Phillips and Ceire Deery are Producers.
**Check local listings.
Viacom is home to premier global media brands that create compelling television programs, motion pictures, short-form content, apps, games, consumer products, social media experiences, and other entertainment content for audiences in more than 180 countries. Viacom’s media networks, including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Spike, BET, CMT, TV Land, Nick at Nite, Nick Jr., Logo, Nicktoons, TeenNick, Channel 5 (UK), Telefe (Argentina) and Paramount Channel, reach over 3.9 billion cumulative television subscribers worldwide. Paramount Pictures is a major global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. For more information about Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com. Keep up with Viacom news by following Viacom’s blog at blog.viacom.com and Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/viacom.